BNCA Monthly Meeting
June 18, 2019 – DCTV
Officers in Attendance: Dan, Clyde, Rene, Fred, Kathy
- Recap of Franklin St. traffic calming meeting in June.
- BNCA meeting planned with DDOT in July.
- Public safety at Triangle Park (14th and RI Ave.)
- Shooting on Memorial Day
- June 17 meeting with Commander Fitzgerald with neighbors – shared information about how to be helpful as a community.
- Want to work with Office of Attorney General – pursuing nuisance order against property owner in commercial strict. More information to come.
- June 22 – Fred and other neighbors participating in Summer Services Expo at Triangle Park (10 AM – 2 PM) with Malik Miller (Mayor’s office), Kelly Sislow (McDuffie’s office) and non-MPD agencies.
Treasurer’s report – June report for month of May
- 23 new/renewing members
- $240 receipts, $2 expenditures
Guest Speaker Ambrose Lane – Health Alliance Network (HAN) Founder and Chair
- Started HAN in 2013 to do health advocacy in Ward 7; LLC
- Convene like-minded people to change health culture
- Create atmosphere for collaboration (among hospitals, universities, faith-based organizations, businesses, etc.)
- Advocate with City Council – Committee on Health
- Member of Commission on Health Equity – 2nd term
- Department of Behavioral Health – Train violence interrupters on Mental Health First Aid for youth and adults
- Her Story Matters – breast cancer champions. Breast Cancer Awards for women in Ward 5, 7, 8, and 6 (starting in October 2019)
- Early Childhood Intervention Network – mitigate toxic stress among kids 0-5
- Worked on Health Impact Assessment legislation
- Encouraged all to read DC Health Equity Report: https://dchealth.dc.gov/publication/health-equity-report-district-columbia-2018
- Plans to hold HAN meeting in Ward 5 in September at DCTV
Guest Speaker Early Williams – DC Federation of Citizens Associations
- Established in 1910; citizens’ associations were segregated so African Americans formed Civic Associations; two still exist but are integrated
- BNCA – 27th member of the Federation
- Speak out on issues citywide – currently focused on:
- Comprehensive Plan – will have forum on it in the Fall
- 5G Towers – different networks (Sprint, Verizon, ATT, T Mobile) putting up towers in Wards 7 and 8; don’t know health effects; other wards are fighting it; Associations want all networks on one tower.
- Federation of Citizens Associations and Federation of Civic Associations considering merging; have some differences to work out; will probably vote in the Fall.
Leave a Reply